Insect Resistance Management (IRM)
An Insect Resistance Management (IRM) plan is mandated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). For continued availability and in order to preserve the benefits of Bt. Corn and Bt. Cotton Products, it is imperative that growers understand and abide by all of the IRM Refuge requirements specific to each B.t. product that is planted.
STEP has experience in educating and supporting various needs relating to IRM throughout the industry; including education of Seed Dealer Networks, and Grower On-Farm Assessments of IRM adherence required by the EPA. Feel free to see our “Services Provided” section or contact us for more information on how we can help you with your IRM questions, concerns, and needs.
In addition, The National Corn Growers Association (NCGA) with the support of ABSTC, the coalition of the four leading corn agriculture biotechnology companies, work to address the need for standardized, comprehensive training and education on the principles of Insect Resistance Management (IRM).
The NCGA site provides corn growers with industry access to Best Practices, requirements, and refuge calculators that help to assure that we, as an industry continue to steward the land and products properly. Here are a few quick links STEP recommends as you plan your Corn IRM Refuge each season:
- Corm Rootworm Best Management Practices: Information and guides to assure that you effectively manage CRW each season, year to year.
- Integrated Pest Management Practices: How to assure that we preserve the benefits and insect protection of all Bt. corn traits through IPM.
- IRM Refuge Calculator: Trait Providers provide extensive guides and education tools specific to their products and traits offered. Some of those key trait provider quick links are below. In addition, you may find this NCGA IRM Refuge Calculator tool helpful as you plan your acreage each season.
You will also find it beneficial to visit the following links specific to industry leader’s products as they relate to IRM for both Corn and Cotton Products:
- Monsanto Company IRM for products including Genuity® Traits, DEKALB®, Asgrow®, Deltapine®, and their Corn States and Licensee Brands utilizing Bt. traits.
- Syngenta Seeds IRM for products including Agrisure® Traits, Golden Harvest®, and NK® brands and their GreenLeaf Genetics and Licensee Brands utilizing Bt. traits.
- Bayer CropScience IRM for products including TwinLink® Plus and TwinLink Cotton.